How to Give Back While Growing Your Tech Startup
Theresa Roemer, CEO and Business Philanthropy Expert offers startup entrepreneurs the following tips on how to get started giving back:
- Size Doesn’t Matter- The word philanthropy brings to mind big money for most people, we often think of large corporations and international giving. Just because you own a new or a small business doesn’t mean you can’t give back. Don’t let the word philanthropy cause you to hesitate. Philanthropy is simply giving, your business doesn’t have to be huge, you just have to have a big heart, and a passion for giving back.
- Discover what touches you- What causes pull at your heartstrings? It is likely that the business you started is your passion and the causes that would best fit for you to giveback to may be related. Do you own a business in the field of technology? Maybe education is where you would like to give back? Take some time to think about what feels good for you and may be related to work you are already passionate about.
- Budget- Plan for your giving each month in the same way you would tithe to your place of worship or budget for incidentals. Plan on spending a set amount every month toward your cause. If you are still building your discretionary funds, then donate your time in the meantime. Volunteering is another way to become active with your chosen charity. You could also find a way to have your employees donate time by dedicating a set amount of work time to a charity, such as mandating that every Friday morning everyone reports to a shelter or book fair for two hours instead of the office. This is just as valuable as donating money.
- Research- Vet any charity that sparks your interest and make sure the money is going to the right place.
- Set a Goal- A firm goal and a five-year plan will help keep you focused. Be strategic with your giving and plan ways to raise money, if you start with a plan it will make planning events and fundraising opportunities more focused.
Theresa Roemer is the CEO of Theresa Roemer, LLC and a small business owner who specializes in business philanthropy. She owns several home goods companies in Houston, Texas and is a partner in Roemer Oil. Theresa is an expert in business philanthropy and works regularly with major motion pictures, television studios, corporations and high profile brands to expand their philanthropic reach to raise millions of dollars through business charity events. Theresa consults with organizations such as LVMH to understand their business goals with fundraising, then turns those objectives into a reality with her ability to produce high-impact business fundraising events.